The FCO has issued fresh travel advice for visitors to Hong Kong ahead of planned protests today and tomorrow.

The government said Hong Kong’s transportation system to and from the airport were among sites being targeted by demonstrators.

Hong Kong has been wracked by growing demonstrations since early June over the government’s attempt to introduce extradition to China for certain offences.

Three days of protests took place earlier this month with demonstrators converging on Hong Kong’s main airport causing hundreds of flights to be cancelled.

The FCO said: “Reports indicate protests are likely to continue, including plans to form a human chain across the MTR Island Line, Tsuen Wan Line and Kwun Tong Line from 1900-2100 on 23 August.


More: Hong Kong flights cancelled as protesters target transport system

Hong Kong travel warning issued after violent clashes [June 13]

Hong Kong demonstrations ‘fail to deter long-haul travellers’ [July 17]


“A large protest action is also planned for 24 August targeting the transportation system to and from Hong Kong International Airport, and in the Kowloon East Kwun Tong area. Passengers are advised to allow extra time to travel to the airport.

“You should be prepared that the situation around protests and public gatherings could change quickly, with the potential for significant violence, especially during unauthorised protests.

“If you are in and around areas where any demonstrations are taking place, you should remain vigilant, follow the advice of local authorities and move away quickly to a safe place if there are signs of disorder.”

“Demonstrations may lead to sections of the city being closed off and significant disruption to transport. In recent protests, bus routes, MTR stations, the Airport Express and the Hong Kong Macao Ferry Terminal have temporarily suspended operations without warning.”

The FCO urged visitors to check thier flight status regularly on the airport website.