News

South Australia hopes to welcome international tourists in new year

The state of South Australia is to open its borders to fully-vaccinated people from all of the country’s states and territories from November 23, and reduce quarantine for international visitors.

From the same date, quarantine for vaccinated international arrivals will drop from 14 days to seven days.

November 23 is the date when Australia is expected to reach the national vaccination target of 80%.

When vaccination rates hit 90% (of people aged 12 years and over), South Australia’s borders will open to fully-vaccinated international travellers without the need for quarantine.

While no date has been confirmed for this, the state said it expects this by the end of the year.

“It is the hope that South Australia will welcome international tourists early in 2022,” the tourist board said in a press communication.

Earlier this month, the Australian states of New South Wales and Victoria, home to Sydney and Melbourne respectively, announced plans to scrap quarantine for fully-vaccinated arrivals from November 1.

Australia’s international border has been shut to tourists since March 2020 with only Australian citizens, permanent residents, immediate family members and New Zealanders allowed to enter.


More:Qantas brings forward international flights relaunch


Rodney Harrex, chief executive of the South Australian Tourism Commission (SATC) said: “As one of the first ‘Covid-free’ states to open to fully-vaccinated travellers in NSW and Victoria – our state’s key domestic markets – this is an opportunity for our industry and is a positive step towards a wider reopening.”

The SATC has increased its marketing activity for Eastern Australian states and said it would be “doubling down” in the coming weeks.

Harrex added: “The reopening to domestic tourism is a real opportunity for our state and one that we will take full advantage of.

“We are also looking forward to sharing more news on the opportunities to welcome back international tourists.”

Share article

View Comments

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.