News

Disabled holidaymakers ‘ready’ to travel again, says Limitless Travel

The overwhelming majority of disabled British travellers feel ready to travel again although over half will wait until next year to go overseas, according to a survey by Limitless Travel.

The tour operator, which specialises in travel for people with disabilities, said it had already seen “record levels” of sales this year compared with 2019.

The survey of 200 British disabled travellers showed only 14% of respondents did not feel ready to travel again when asked about future travel plans, meaning the remaining 86% were happy to travel again following the Covid pandemic.

But when it comes to travelling abroad, more than half, 57%, said they would wait until 2022 to make any trips. More than two thirds, 69%, usually go on one or two holidays each year. Of those surveyed 98% had had Covid vaccinations and 84% reported that once vaccinated they felt most interested in travelling again.

According to the tour operator, prior to the pandemic it was estimated a third of people with disabilities in the UK never went on holiday because of the perceived stresses and worries about travel.

Limitless Travel chief executive Angus Drummond said: “For the disabled community, even before Covid, there was a great deal of stress and anxiety associated around holidays and travel, with people worrying that there wouldn’t be the facilities or specialist care that they needed on a trip. And now, more than ever before, our customers are looking for reassurance from us about their holidays.”

The operator said it was already evident in sales that there was clear demand in this sector of the market for travel.

“Despite the huge impact the Pandemic has had on the travel industry, we’ve already taken away more than double the amount of people in 2021 compared to 2019 and have seen record levels of sales already this year, so the appetite for travel is certainly out there,” he said.

Limitless Travel uses vetted, wheelchair-accessible and disabled-friendly transport and hotels, professional carers and specialist equipment to cater for the individual needs of its clients.

Share article

View Comments

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.