You are viewing 1 of your 2 free articles
UP to nine British tourists are believed to have died in a bus crash near the ancient city of Petra in Jordan, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
The British tourists were travelling on a coach from Petra when one of its front tyres burst and it collided with a small pick-up truck.
Jordan minister of tourism Dr Alia Bouran said the injured had been airlifted to hospital. He could not confirm the number of fatalities.
The tourists travelled with Kent-based Pilgrim Travel, a direct-sell tour operator.
Prince Charles, due to visit Petra on Friday while on a tour of the country, was said to be "deeply shocked” by the incident.
He plans to visit the survivors in hospital in Amman, Clarence House said.