You are viewing 1 of your 2 free articles
More than 37,000 Britons have been evacuated since the start of the Middle East crisis, according to defence secretary John Healey.
Providing an update to MPs in Parliament on Monday, he said Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) teams were working “as fast as possible” to get people out of the region.
Three chartered flights have now taken off, with more to come this week, Healey disclosed.
“More than 170,000 people have registered their presence, which has allowed us to get them the information and the support that they need,” he added.
“More than 37,000 British nationals have been evacuated since the start of the crisis response.”
Tui Group confirmed that around 600 holidaymakers had been repatriated over the weekend.
This included flights from the Maldives to Manchester and Frankfurt, carrying holidaymakers from multiple markets who were unable to return as planned due to cancelled connecting flights in the Gulf.
Two flights operated from Al Ain Airport in the UAE with a stopover in Heraklion, one continuing to Manchester and the other to Hanover.
A Tui UK & Ireland spokesperson said: “The safety of our customers is our highest priority, and our immediate focus is on supporting those currently in the region and helping them return safely to the UK as soon as possible.
“We continue to closely monitor the evolving situation in the Middle East and the latest advice from the UK FCDO.
“Our teams are working closely with airline partners and colleagues across the Tui Group to make arrangements to bring customers home.
“Over the weekend, a number of customers were able to return to the UK on repatriation flights organised by Tui Airways as part of wider Tui Group repatriation efforts.
“We will continue to explore all available options to support further returns where possible.
“Customers currently in destination are being kept updated directly as our teams continue working with airline and operational partners to support their journeys home.”
Tui’s Cyprus programme is operating as normal.
Healey’s comments came as the government disclosed that dependents of Britiah embassy staff were being temporarily withdrawn from the United Arab Emirates as a “precautionary measure” due to the ogoing security situation.
However, embassies in Abu Dhabi and Dubai are continuing to function as normal.
Qatar Airways is continuing to run a limited schedule while overall flghts remain suspended due to the closure of Qatari airspace.
Departures from Doha to Heathrow have been confirmed for today (Tuesday) and tomorrow together with flights to a number of other destinations across the airline’s network.
However, the airline said: “These flights do not constitute a confirmation of the resumption of scheduled commercial operations.”
British Airways is due to be running flights from Muscat in Oman to Heathrow today, tomorrow and Thursday.
Oman Air has also added flights from Muscat but Gulf Air flights from Bahrain remain suspended due to airspace closure.
Emirates and Etihad Airways continue to run reduced schedules to key destinations from Dubai and Abu Dhabi.