P&O Cruises is embarking on a massive public relations campaign to rebuild confidence in its shattered brand after the stomach bug on board Aurora.
Agents up and down the country will receive information on the virulent Norwalk virus, which hit more than 500 passengers during a Mediterranean cruise last week, in an effort to head off cancellations. The bug causes nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting.
P&O Cruises managing director David Dingle said: “Our big job is to restore confidence. We are hopeful that agents can be our first line of defence and explain this virus to customers. It is not an illness that is specific to cruise ships.”
Dingle said P&O bosses were discussing if a raft of targeted discounts would help override the bad publicity about the ship. Aurora was denied permission to dock at the Greek port of Piraeus and then sparked a diplomatic row on reaching Gibraltar when the Spanish closed their border with the colony citing health concerns.
The cruiseline already had plans to bring out a new brochure on December 1, and Dingle said prices may be adjusted in that.
“We haven’t had any significant level of cancellations so far,” he said. “Lots of customers with forward bookings have called for reassurance and are happy to proceed as normal.”
You have viewed both of your 2 free articles this month as an unregistered user
To continue reading free of charge, please
If you have registered previously, please complete your details to login: