Norwegian Cruise Line plans a further restart of operations in Europe from the homeports of Barcelona and Rome (Civitavecchia) from September 5.
Newly revamped Norwegian Epic is scheduled to sail from Barcelona on seven-night western Mediterranean itineraries until October 24.
Norwegian Getaway is to run 10 to 11-day Greek Islands cruises from Civitavecchia from September 13 to October 25.
NCL president and chief executive Harry Sommer said: “Europe is a top travel destination, so we are very much looking forward to returning to some of our most beloved homeports, resuming those itineraries and welcoming our guests to experience a vacation of a lifetime in the safest possible manner.
“We are actively working with our local partners and government officials, as we plan for resumption of voyages in the region with Norwegian Epic and Getaway joining Norwegian Jade this summer.
“Relaunching Norwegian Epic and Getaway will allow us to provide a greater variety of highly sought-after itineraries for those travellers preparing to take their first cruise vacation in over a year.”
Barcelona port president Merce Conesa added: “While cruising has not yet restarted from Spanish ports, the Port of Barcelona has been closely working and co-operating with the Spanish Ministry of Health and with the health department of the local government of Catalonia towards the same objective – the resumption of cruise traffic following the safest protocols for guests, crew and the inhabitants of Barcelona.
“We are hopeful that we will soon welcome Norwegian Cruise Line and its guests to Barcelona.”
Norwegian Epic’s refit has resulted in 75 upgraded suites in The Haven ship-within-a ship concept combined with a redesigned restaurant pool and sundeck.
Sommer said: “Although we have been unable to connect with our guests at sea, we have used the last year to prepare for their return by investing in our fleet and our onboard offerings.
“Norwegian Epic’s redesign is a testament to our unwavering commitment to extraordinary quality and elevating the standard of excellence across our fleet.”
Meanwhile, NCL is to stream the second of its five-part Embark docuseries from May 21 via www.ncl.com/embark.
The episode will further explore themes of health and safety, the evolution of the company’s culinary offerings and the intricacies of operating one of the world’s largest traveling production companies.
It will provide insight into passenger and crew safety protocols being implemented both on board and on land, along with a behind-the-scenes look at the brand’s private island in the Bahamas, Great Stirrup Cay.
Sommer added: “The first episode of Embark – The Series set the stage for what viewers can expect throughout the five-part series, and episode two will continue to bring viewers along for an honest look at the future of cruising as it unfolds.
“The most exciting part is that we are filming each episode in real time, so viewers are truly experiencing decisions regarding our return to service as they’re being made.”