British Airways is considering cutting capacity from Gatwick in a shift of flights to its Heathrow hub, according to weekend speculation.

The airline’s new chief executive Sean Doyle is thought to be considering options for future Gatwick operations after all short-haul services were cancelled until March next year.

This has left just 12 long-haul routes served from the single-runway airport.

Doyle, who is moving from running sister IAG carrier Aer Lingus, previously ran BA’s Gatwick business unit as part of a 22-year career with the carrier.


More: British Airways ‘may not operate at Gatwick after pandemic’


A number of long-haul leisure routes have already been moved from Gatwick to Heathrow as the airline looks to focus more on premium leisure passengers.

Gatwick chief executive Stewart Wingate told the Mail on Sunday: “I know Sean is aware of the immense value that Gatwick adds to the airline’s network from his days running BA’s operations at the airport.

“I’m looking forward to welcoming back the airline’s short-haul services as soon as possible.”

A BA spokesperson said: “Until March 2021, most of our short-haul flights will continue to operate from Heathrow.

“This enables us to ensure a smooth uninterrupted and efficient operations across our business at a time when demand is yet to return and international travel restrictions remain in place.”

Gatwick has already suffered the loss of Virgin Atlantic with a move of its operations to Heathrow and Norwegian Air is consulting over 259 job cuts in a review of its Gatwick crew base.

Budget carrier Wizz Air is being tipped as a potential candidate for picking up vacant Gatwick take off and landing slots as its starts four new routes from the airport.

wtm-2020-virtual