News

Corfu parents call for gas alarms in hotels

The parents of two children who died from carbon monoxide poisoning on holiday in Corfu  are urging tour operators to make hotels fit carbon monoxide alarms in all rooms.

Neil Shepherd and Sharon Wood, whose children Bobby and Christi were killed in 2006,  say the travel industry should take action to ensure no more people lose their lives to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Wood told the BBC: “If Thomas Cook had said that [told the hotel to install carbon monoxide alarms in rooms] to the hotel after we’d lost our children we would have been satisfied.”

They are also calling for parents to carry carbon monoxide monitors with them on holiday.

The parents will visit the House of Lords this afternoon for the launch of the CO-Gas Safety School Poster Competition, which has been developed to promote awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

They said: “Lives are still being lost to CO and we believe the majority of the population is still not fully aware of the causes or symptoms of CO poisoning. We had very limited knowledge of CO before we lost our precious children.

“There is no doubt that education and awareness is the key to prevention. The most appropriate place to start is in schools. We urge Government Ministers and Local Authorities to support the poster competition.”

The family was travelling with Thomas Cook, and two representatives of the tour operator now face trial in connection with the deaths.

Share article

View Comments

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.