The ban on air travel between Britain and Greece will continue until June 30.

The UK was originally excluded from the first wave of countries allowed access to Greece from June 15.  Reports had then suggested Brits would be allowed in, subject to strict rules, including tests on arrival and an overnight stay at a hotel.

Now tourism minister Harry Theoharis is reported to have told a televised presentation on Friday that holidaymakers from the UK will continue to be excluded from visiting Greece until June 30.

The Telegraph reported Theoharis as saying: “The ban [on passenger flights from] Great Britain remains in place for the next two weeks.”

The extension is understood to follow the EU’s advice for travel restrictions on non-essential travel to stay in place until June 30. Officials in Greece said the decision had been made based on EU advice to open up borders in a ‘strictly coordinated’ way.

The European Commission has recommended travel to the EU from selected non-EU countries be allowed to restart from July 1.

11JuneBanner