Three passengers and a crew member on Ruby Princess have tested positive for Covid-19 after it docked in Sydney.

Reports say the authorities in New South Wales are racing to find the 3,800 people who had been onboard and were allowed to disembark after a short cruise to New Zealand.

A statement from Princess Cruises today said: “We are working closely with NSW Health authorities who advised that three guests and a crew member who travelled on Ruby Princess have tested positive for Covid-19.


MoreLatest coronavirus news and updates

Travel Weekly coronavirus resource centre


“Please be advised that all four had reported flu-like symptoms during the cruise and, along with their stateroom occupants, were in isolation on board the ship minimising contact with other guests and crew.

“We have assisted NSW Health to make contact with all guests who arrived in Sydney yesterday.

“We support NSW Health’s call for all guests to follow to the letter the Australian government’s requirement for 14 days’ self-isolation and to seek medical advice if they experience flu like symptoms.”

Reports say two passengers who have tested positive are being treated in a Sydney hospital and another who may have contracted the virus is in a Tasmanian hospital.

A crew member who tested positive remains on the ship, which is docked off the Australian east coast.

An estimated 2,700 passengers were on the cruise.

Coral Princess cuts Buenos Aires call short

Meanwhile, sister ship Coral Princess had to “abruptly depart” the port of Buenos Aires late on March 19, before all guests were disembarked.

The cruise line said in a statement: “Argentine president, Alberto Fernandez, issued a decree at 8:00 pm local time that began at midnight. The decree would require the ship to remain in port for an indeterminate number of days, and no guests would have been permitted to disembark during that time. Therefore, the decision was made to leave port immediately.

“Coral Princess is now sailing to Montevideo, Uruguay, where it will take delivery of supplies and fuel on March 20.

“We have been, and will continue to, seek permission to complete guest disembarkation there.

“Internet and guest stateroom telephone service remain complimentary so that guests can stay in touch with family.

“This is an unprecedented situation and we thank our guests for their continued patience and understanding.”