News

London Bridge attack: Travel companies offer free cancellations

See also: London tourism expected to plunge 30% after terror attacks

Travel companies are offering free cancellations or amendments on bookings made by travel agents for clients planning to visit London following Saturday’s terror attack.

Short break specialist SuperBreak said any agents with clients booked to travel today (Monday) or tomorrow were being offered the chance to cancel their booking for free, or change it, for example to travel at a different time or to a different destination.

A spokeswoman said the operator would continue to monitor the situation, adding that the company’s “immediate thoughts” were for those people who lost their lives or were injured in the events on Saturday, June 3, at London Bridge. Three people were killed and at least 48 injured in a terrorist attack.

Attraction World, which sells tickets for tourist attractions, is also offering agents and customers the chance to cancel bookings, except theatre tickets, free of charge. So far, the company said there had been no cancellations.

The offices of the Abta near where the attacks took place remained closed today (Monday) but were due to re-open tomorrow. All meetings were rescheduled or cancelled, with staff working remotely using diverted telephone lines.

Security has also been beefed up in the capital in the wake of Saturday’s attack.

Transport for London confirmed concrete and metal barriers have been fitted to three of London’s bridges – Waterloo, Lambeth and Westminster – to protect pedestrians from terrorist attacks. Terrorists have ploughed vehicles into people on bridges in both recent London attacks.

A Transport for London spokesperson said: “We are aware of the hostile vehicle mitigation measures being installed by the Met on some of London’s bridges and are supporting them with this work.”

Merlin Entertainment, which owns attractions such as Madame Tussauds in the capital, said in a statement that it already had “stringent security measures in place”.

The statement added: “We are in constant contact with the Metropolitan Police and other security agencies to ensure all of our guests have a safe and secure experience at our attractions.”

A vigil is due to be held at Potters Fields in the London Bridge area tonight to remember those who died in Saturday’s attack.

See also: London tourism expected to plunge 30% after terror attacks

Share article

View Comments

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.