The best companies in the UK travel industry were honoured at the Travel Weekly Globe Travel Awards on Thursday night.
The awards, run in association with headline sponsor Mail Newspapers, are voted for solely by travel agents, and are the biggest in the industry calendar.
The ceremony was held at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel and the awards were presented by comedian Michael McIntyre and Travel Weekly editor-in-chief Lucy Huxley.
Entertainment came from X Factor singer Jahmene Douglas and rising star Tich, while Mad Hen rocked the after-party following their standout performance at last year’s ITT conference in Barbados.
Winners on the night included IAG chief executive Willie Walsh, who received the outstanding contribution award, and Travel Corporation chairman Stanley Tollman, who received the lifetime achievement award.
Abercrombie & Kent received the Innovation in Travel award for its standalone retail store in the City of London.
In the supplier categories, Jet2.com won best short-haul airline, with Emirates taking the long-haul award, and Classic Collection Holidays won the short-haul operator category. Gold Medal Travel was named best long-haul multi-destination operator, while in the cruise categories Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises, Hurtigruten and Silversea took home awards.
In the new luxury awards categories presented in association with Travel Weekly’s Aspire Travel Club, Kuoni won best tour operator, Four Seasons won best hotel chain and Dubai won best destination.
In the consumer awards presented in association with Mail Newspapers, British Airways, Kuoni, Expedia, P&O Cruises, Virgin Holidays, Hilton and Thomas Cook triumphed.
Clive Jacobs, Travel Weekly Group chairman, said: “The economic outlook continues to be cloudy, but I am greatly encouraged by the number of travel companies which have demonstrated sound business sense and flair to challenge the norm and flourish against a tumultuous backdrop.
“The relevance of the Globe Travel Awards is clearly demonstrated by the ongoing support of our sponsors and the many thousands of agents who cast their votes, and I would like to extend a personal thank you to them all.”
On The Water Sector, sponsored by Icelolly.com
- Best Ferry Company: P&O Ferries
- Best Mainstream Cruise Company: Royal Caribbean International
- Best Premium Cruise Company: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Specialist Cruise Company, Including River: Hurtigruten
- Best Luxury Cruise Company: Silversea Cruises
On The Move Sector, sponsored by P&O Ferries
- Best Rail Operator: Eurostar
- Best Escorted Tours Operator: Trafalgar
- Best Car Rental Operator: Holiday Autos
Consumer Awards, sponsored by Mail Newspapers
- Favourite Cruise Company: P&O Cruises
- Favourite Long-haul Operator: Virgin Holidays
- Favourite Short-haul Operator: Thomas Cook
- Favourite Escorted Tours Operator: Kuoni
- Favourite Airline: British Airways
- Favourite Hotel Chain: Hilton
- Favourite Online Booking Website: Expedia
Flying Sector, sponsored by The Holiday Team
- Best Short-haul Airline: Jet2.com
- Best Long-haul Airline: Emirates
- Best UK Airport: London Heathrow
- Best Charter Airline: Monarch Airlines
- Best UK Hotel Chain: Hilton
- Best UK Theme Park: Alton Towers
- Best Operator UK Holidays: Superbreak
- Best All-Inclusive Resort Operator: Sandals
- Best Tourist Board UK Office: Dubai Tourism
- Best Theme Park (worldwide): Walt Disney World Resort Florida
- Best Hotel Chain (worldwide): Hilton
- Best Add-ons Provider: Attraction World
- Best Technology Provider: Travelport
- Best Insurance Provider: Holiday Extras
- Best Trade Sales Team: One Stop Touring Shop
- Best Trade Friendly Provider: Attraction World
- Best Long-haul Operator (multi destination): Gold Medal Travel
- Best Long-haul Specialist Operator: Wendy Wu Tours
- Best Luxury Operator: Kuoni
- Best Consolidator: Gold Medal Travel
- Best Accommodation-only Provider: Medhotels.com
- Best Operator Ski/Activity: Neilson Holidays
- Best Short-haul Operator: Classic Collection Holidays
- Best Airline: Emirates
- Best Cruise Line: Silversea
- Best Tour Operator: Kuoni
- Best Hotel Chain: Four Seasons
- Best Destination: Dubai
- Abercrombie & Kent’s stand-alone retail store
The Penny Akam Award for Unsung Heroes, sponsored by Affordable Car Hire
- Tracy Burden, Midcounties Co-operative Travel Group
Outstanding Achievement Award, sponsored by Avis
- Willie Walsh
Lifetime Achievement Award, sponsored by the WTTC
- Stanley Tollman
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.