Club Med is to close its resort in Belek, Turkey, after the owner ran into financial problems.
The all-inclusive specialist, which operates the resort under a management contract, said Club Med could not guarantee the standards of the resort. The hotel will close from March 29 to June 21 and Club Med is not taking bookings for the remainder of the season.
The company has set up a dedicated team to find alternative accommodation for clients with forward bookings. Some clients have already had their holidays transferred to Club Med Palmiye.
It said in an email to agents: “Very recently we have been informed that the owner of the property has faced financial difficulties that until now were unknown to us.
“Club Med is now unable to guarantee the resort opening under normal operating conditions due to many suppliers demanding payment of outstanding invoices which remain unpaid at this stage.
“Moreover the owner is unable to carry out the necessary maintenance works for the village to function normally which could affect our clients comfort and enjoyment.”
The company has created a crisis team to work on existing bookings. “This affects a very large amount of bookings, our call centre has created a crisis team working solidly on this.
“We are working on the affected bookings in date order and peak date priority and will endeavour to get back to our clients and agents as soon as possible.
“We ask that you are patient and understanding with us and our team during this unprecedented situation. Club Med would like to re-assure you that your client’s holiday is protected by Club Med and that we will try our hardest to find an alternative solution for our mutual clients.”
Club Med Belek opened in 2012 and was previously Lykia World.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.