A group of tour operators are investigating the safety of a hotel in Lake Garda in Italy following the death of a British holidaymaker from suspected food poisoning.
Geoffrey Appleyard, 71, from Evesham, Worcestershire, died on Sunday after falling ill at the Grand Hotel Gardone, having eaten dinner there hours earlier.
Kuoni, Inghams, Prestige Holidays and TUI Travel (Thomson) have sent a representative from hygiene consultancy IGI to see the property. All four have clients staying at the hotel.
Police have yet to establish any link between the food poisoning and Mr Appleyard’s death and a post mortem was being held on Wednesday.
Another 30 holidaymakers at the four-star hotel have become ill with possible salmonella and been taken to local hospitals suffering from severe vomiting, diarrhoea and dehydration.
A spokesman for Thomson Lakes and Mountains, with which Mr Appleyard was travelling, said: “No new cases have been reported since Monday and we are confident the situation is under control.
“Nine of those affected are recovering in hospital, but none of them is in any danger and they will be discharged in the next few days.”
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.