Pow Wow International 2007
UK operators and agents must start lobbying US car rental firms if they are ever to be able to introduce cross-border flydrive programmes featuring both the US and Canada.
Greater Rochester Visitors Association vice-president and director of marketing Gregory Marshall said while car hire customers can drive to Canada from the US, the fact that they must return their car to the country they started in limits the experience.
He believes only pressure from those running the programmes will force rental firms to make the changes that would allow, for instance, a car picked up in New York City to be dropped off in Toronto.
Marshall said: “The travel trade needs to ask for that – both the tour operators and travel agents in Europe have a lot more clout than we do.”
He added consolidation in the car hire market with the purchase of National by Enterprise would also make the introduction of such itineraries easier.
More from Pow Wow
- ‘Prepare for boom’ says Hilton boss
- California drafts in Arnie for UK marketing campaign
- Agents in danger of losing Florida market to DIY bookings
- Orlando increases marketing spend as UK visitor numbers fall
- US to mark 400th year as Virginia mourning continues
- Las Vegas targets convention market
- Millennium Hotels trials air filtration system
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.