Need to refresh your memory? Read our review of 2007…
How to enter
Look at the questions below and send your answers to email@example.com, or mail them to Travel Weekly, Reed Business Information, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5AS by January 11.
1. Who said: “We don’t see ourselves as a player in consolidation. To merge with anyone causes as many problems as opportunities”?
a. Peter Rothwell, TUI Travel
b. George Begg, Global Travel Group
c. Colin O’Neill, Advantage
2. Who said: “We have not smuggled these proposals out”?
a. Ruth Kelly, transport minister
b. Manny Fontenla-Novoa, Thomas Cook
c. Mark Tanzer, ABTA
3. Of which company did a union official say: “Call centre staff are under total surveillance. Their toilet breaks are programmed. They have 234 seconds to complete a deal or they are out”?
a. MyTravel, following its merger with Thomas Cook
b. The AA, following its merger with Saga
c. Stella Travel, following its takeover of Global Travel
4. Which two trade associations have been in on-off discussions about a merger?
a. ABTA and the Federation of Tour Operators
b. AITO and the FTO
c. TIPTO and the FTO
5. Who said: “The world is heading for environmental catastrophe if we carry on”?
a. Sir Richard Branson, Virgin
b. Dara Khosrowshahi, Expedia
c. Sue Hurdle, The Travel Foundation
6. Who said: “We would like a strong emissions trading scheme that puts up the price of fares”?
a. Jonathon Porrit, UK Sustainable Development Commission
b. Andy Harrison, easyJet
c. Brent Hoberman, lastminute
7. Who said: “An airline declaring itself carbon neutral is like putting lipstick on a pig”?
a. Tricia Barnett, Tourism Concern
b. Stelios Haji-Ioannou, easyGroup
c. Toby Joseph, Eos
8. Who called Ryanair “the irresponsible face of capitalism”?
a. Ian Pearson, environment minister
b. Andy Harrison, easyJet
c. Liz Savage, flymonarch.com
9. Which holiday destination suffered forest fires during August?
10. In a UK salary survey, travel agents came where?
a. 128th out of 175
b. 295th out of 350
c. 503rd out of 700
11. Who launched the Reduce my Footprint Campaign?
b. Department for Transport
c. Tony Blair
12. Which organisation saw an 18% drop in funding in October?
a. British Retail Consortium
c. Federation of Small Businesses
13. Who said: “If the consumer thinks they bought a package, it is likely to be a package”?
b. Department of Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform
c. Holiday Which?
14. Which ship sunk in the Antarctica in November?
15. Which company did ABTA’s code of conduct committee fine for displaying misleading online prices?
a. First Choice
b. TUI Travel
c. Thomas Cook
16. Which boss said of his company’s shocking failings this year: “The patience and loyalty of customers have been tested and I want to apologise”?
a. Willie Walsh, British Airways
b. Michael O’Leary, Ryanair
c. Stephen Nelson, BAA
17. How wrong was The Guardian in a story on the number of seats at Terminal 5 at Heathrow? It reported:
a. 700 when there will be 9,000
b. 1,200 when there will be 7,200
c. 1,800 when there will be 5,800
18. Who won a ballot with 72% of the vote representing 11% of the electorate?
c. Vladimir Putin
19. Who said: “If what I do makes your life more inconvenient, that is my job”?
a. Michael Chertoff, US Department of Homeland Security
b. Stephen Nelson, BAA
c. Alistair Darling, chancellor
20. Who bid farewell, saying: “It has been exciting, challenging, fun and occasionally very sad”?
a. Tony Blair, ex-PM
b. Peter McHugh, MyTravel
c. Sue Biggs, Kuoni
About Holiday Brokers
Holiday Brokers is also now offering Drinks Included, a new board basis, offering self-catering apartments with drinks included. This is mainly available in the Canaries.
Think of the future of your business, think quality, think Brokers.
A collection of privately owned apartments and villas offering a minimum of four-star rating with all your home comforts; abroad.
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.