The shortlist for the 2017 People 1st Shine Awards, which celebrate the achievements of women working in hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism, have been unveiled.
Global Travel Group, Thomas Cook, C&M Travel Recruitment, Expedia and AccorHotels are among the travel companies vying for awards.
The Shine Awards also recognise mentors, ambassadors and businesses that are actively working to improve gender balance at senior levels.
This year’s awards, hosted in partnership with The Caterer and Travel Weekly and sponsored by Compass Group, include two new categories – Apprentice of the Year and Chef of the Year.
The shortlists were selected by two judging panels, made up of 22 leading representatives from across the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism industries.
The winners will be announced at a black-tie dinner hosted at 8 Northumberland, London, on October 16. The winners of the Ambassador of the Year award and the Robyn Jones Lifetime Achievement award will also be unveiled on the evening.
People 1st chief executive Simon Tarr said: “We were overwhelmed with the number and quality of entries for this year’s Shine Awards. It certainly wasn’t an easy choice for the judges.
“Celebrating the fantastic achievements of women working in hospitality and travel is vital to showcase female role models, share best practice and, ultimately, help more businesses to reap the benefits of having well-balanced leadership teams.”
He added: “Last year’s Shine Awards were a roaring success. They highlighted the incredible work being done by so many talented women in our industries; and the critical role businesses and mentors can play in changing workplace cultures so as to make the most of everybody’s skills.
“It was fantastic to see so many people committed to developing female talent together in one place. We’re looking forward to another inspiring evening and announcing the winners on 16 October.”
The 2017 Shine Awards shortlist:
Woman of the Year
• Ariane Gorin – Expedia
• Lisa Henning – The Travel Network Group
• Louise Wright – Splendid Hospitality Group
• Ruth Badger – Argyll Holidays
Apprentice of the Year:
• Adrienn Somogyi – Ocean View Hotel, Holsworth Hotel Group
• Lauren Louise Dove – Ale & Oyster Restaurant & Bar
• Luka Seddon – CH&Co Group
• Molly Horne – Compass Group
• Sarah Nerys-Judge – Hyatt Regency London, The Churchill
Best Initiative to Retain and Develop Women:
• Compass Group
• The Global Travel Group
• Thomas Cook
Best Place for Women to Work:
• C&M Travel Recruitment
• Compass Group
• Georgian House Hotel
• Emma Bradshaw – PPHE Hotel Group
• Gemma Barter – Crowne Plaza London Docklands
• Gillian Duthrie – Jurys Inn Hotel Company
• Sophie Egglestone – Yorebridge House
• Tania Rahman – Chit Chaat Chai
Chef of the Year:
• Chantelle Nicholson – Tredwells
• Endang Gonzalez – Blue Apple Contract Catering
• Gemma Evans – Compass Group
• Rachel Stebbings – ISS
Innovator of the Year:
• Alex Head – Social Pantry
• Gail Bunn – Brewhouse & Kitchen
• Rose Constantine Smith – The Good Eating Company
• SHEP Partnership Team – Food Cardiff
Mentor of the Year:
• Fay Sharpe – Zibrant, BCD M&E
• Jane Sunley – Purple Cubed
• Omero Emilio Gallucci – Gallucci Consulting (Lakefield Patron)
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.