News

Impact of Spanish terror attack on bookings ‘practically non-existent’

Holiday cancellations to Cambrils and nearby resorts in Spain following this month’s terror attack have been “practically non-existent,” according to the local tourism association.

Federation of Hostelry and Tourism in Tarragona president Eduard Farriol said: “So far, cancellations of existing accommodation reservations in the municipalities in the centre of the Costa Daurada have been virtually zero.

“Existing reservations in the hotel sector of Salou, Cambrils and Vila-seca, la Pineda have remained stable as a result of the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils and hotel cancellations are not expected to reach 1%.”

Overnight stays in the coastal resorts south of Barcelona increased by 4% in the first two weeks of this month – ahead of the August 18 terrorist incidents – compared to the same period in 2016.

Farriol added: “Cancellations experienced by the campsites that are members of the Association of Campings of the Costa Daurada and Terres de l’Ebre have also been practically zero.

“However, in the immediate term, the accommodations of Cambrils have been affected by the events of 18 August with some guests departing early. This situation is most pronounced within the campsites of Cambrils.

“In the apartment sector, most partners have not encountered cancellations. Some clients have demonstrated concern about security in the area although we have assured them that security in the area has been stepped up.

“Several Cambrils establishments have received letters of support from clients, whilst other visitors loyal to the apartment sector in the area have demonstrated their support assuring that ‘in no case they will be overcome by terror’ and that ‘next year they will continue to enjoy this wonderful region’.”

Bookings for September are maintaining a normal rhythm, Farriol added. “From myself and all the team at FEHT, I would like to express our regret for the events in Cambrils and Barcelona,” he said.

“Our deepest sympathies and solidarity is with the victims and their families.

“I would like to commend the excellent performance of the security forces and medics and I wish to congratulate the tourist establishments and travel agencies, for their professionalism in providing information and an excellent service to our visitors during the past couple of weeks.”

Share article

View Comments

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.