Two people are facing trial in Greece over the deaths of two British children from carbon monoxide poisoning after an appeal for the charges to be dropped was dismissed.
Corfu’s district attorney proposed that the two Thomas Cook employees, one of whom no longer works for the operator, should be excused from the legal proceedings because they were not responsible for the accident.
This appeal has not been upheld by the appeal court and the two individuals face trial along with members of the hotel management and external maintenance contractors next year. Thomas Cook declined to name the pair.
A Thomas Cook spokesman said: “Even though the District Attorney’s appeal has not been upheld, we continue to support and stand by the two people concerned and believe they will be vindicated with the case is heard.”
Christianne Shepherd and her brother Robert from Wakefield, Yorkshire were on a half-term trip with their father and his partner when they died from carbon monoxide poisoning in October 2006. The incident is believed to have been caused by a faulty gas boiler in a holiday apartment at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel.