Holidaymakers on a tight budget can find package prices this month (May) as low as they were more than 20 years ago, analysis revealed today shows.
Package holidays to the Costa Dorada have fallen by 22% year-on-year to £277 per person against £347.98pp last summer 2017.
Other price drops on package holidays from the UK this summer include to the Neapolitan Riviera in Italy, which includes Sorrento, down 7.5% to £410pp from £443.29 last summer and the Costa Brava, down 7.4% to £256.39pp against £277.
Lloret de Mar, one of the biggest resorts in the Costa Brava, has seen a 230% year-on-year increase in price searches from consumers looking for summer holidays, encouraged by low prices.
The results emerged from a crunching of price data across 105 short-haul destinations holiday price comparison site TravelSupermarket to reveal 20 offering the lowest prices and those with the most expensive holidays.
Icmeler and Marmaris are offering the lowest-priced packages to Turkey with deals starting from as low as £129pp for seven nights’ bed and breakfast.
Santorini at £577pp is maintaining its popularity despite being the most expensive of the destinations reviewed.
The Greek island is the fourth most-searched-for-destination for a seven-night beach package holiday this summer – up one place over summer 2017.
Tenerife heads holiday searches followed by Majorca and Crete. The Algarve is the fifth most-searched for package holiday destination for prices, followed by Benidorm, Salou, Lanzarote, Costa del Sol and Ibiza.
TravelSupermarket travel expert Emma Coulthurst said: “For UK holidaymakers on a really tight budget this summer, price comparison data across the market shows seven night package holidays available from as little as £125pp to resorts on the Costa Brava and Costa Dorada.
“These prices are incredible. I can remember paying that for a comparable holiday in May, 23 years ago.
“At the other end of the scale, Santorini remains incredibly popular. Nearby Mykonos has a similarly famous reputation, but this time for the jet set and celebrities who love its lavish party atmosphere.
“So, both islands attract huge amounts of interest from Brits in holidaying there.
“But, if you are a holidaymaker on a budget, this research shows you where the lowest-priced holiday options are available.”
Referring to the Costa Brava, Coulthurst added: “Seven night deals to the area are from as little as £127pp in May, the cheapest summer month to go on holiday. TravelSupermarket data shows it can be up to 55% more expensive to go in July or August to the Costa Brava than in May.”
The 20 destinations/resorts offering the lowest-priced seven night overseas’ package holidays this summer
Based on the median package price per person for seven night departures between May 1 to September 30 for two people:
1. Pineda de Mar, Calella and Lloret de Mar, Costa Brava (£256.39pp)
2. Salou, Costa Dorada (£277pp)
3. Sidari or Kavos, Corfu (£302.01pp)
4. Alicante and Benidorm, Costa Blanca (£337.30pp)
5. Icmeler and Marmaris (£348.50pp)
6. Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria (£358pp)
7. Malia, Crete (£358.39pp)
8. Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote (£359.18pp)
9. Faro, Algarve (£360.50pp)
10. Feungirola, Costa del Sol (£364.97pp)
11. Albufeira, Algarve (£365.00pp)
12. Benalmadena, Costa del Sol (£366.66pp)
13. Sunny Beach, Bourgas, Bulgaria (£372.50pp)
14. Corfu Town, Corfu (£374.00pp)
15. Nerja, Costa del Sol (£375.50pp)
16. Maspalomas, Gran Canaria (£376.47pp)
17. St Paul’s Bay, Malta (£380.25pp)
18. Sunny Beach, Bulgaria (£385.25pp)
19. Alanya, Antalya (£386.60pp)
20. Costa de Almeria (£393pp)
The 20 most expensive package holidays this summer:
1. Santorini, Greek Islands (£577pp)
2. Mykonos, Greek Islands (£568.75pp)
3. Cyprus east including Aia Napa and Larnaca (£542pp)
4. Skopelos, Greek Islands (£540.50pp)
5. Limassol, Greek Islands (£534pp)
6. Corsica, France (£513pp)
7. Central Dalmatia, Croatia (£505.25pp)
8. Istrian Riviera, Croatia (£503.95pp)
9. Skiathos, Greek Islands (£502.50pp)
10. Northern Cyprus (£499pp)
11. Paphos, Cyprus (£497.65pp)
12. Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Canary Islands (£496pp)
13. Hurghada area, Red Sea, Egypt (£495.44pp)
14. Funchal, Madeira (£494pp)
15. Menorca (£493pp)
16. San Antonio Bay, Ibiza (£486.50pp)
17. Ibiza Town (£485.25pp)
18. Costa Adeje, Tenerife (£484.50pp)
19. Playas de las Americas, Tenerife (£475.20pp)
20. Sorrento, Neopolitan Riviera, Italy (£472.13pp)
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.