A long-standing state of emergency in Tunisia has been further extended until March.
The month-long extension from February 5 was revealed in revised Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice to the North African country yesterday.
The state of emergency, which has been extended a number of times, was imposed after suicide attack on a police bus in November 2015, which followed twin terror attacks on foreign tourists in Tunis and Sousse earlier that year.
The FCO reiterated advice that the Tunisian government has improved protective security in major cities and tourist resorts.
The latest foreign travel advice to the country says: “Since the terrorist attack in Sousse in June 2015, which targeted tourists, the UK government has been working closely with the Tunisian authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups.
“But terrorists are still very likely to try to carry out attacks in Tunisia, including against UK and western interests. Security forces remain on a high state of alert in Tunis and other places.
“You should be vigilant at all times, including around religious sites and festivals. In more remote areas of the country, including tourist sites in southern Tunisia, security forces’ response times to an incident may vary.
“Follow the advice of the Tunisian security authorities and your travel company if you have one.”
The FCO also says: “Demonstrations often occur in Tunisia and the majority are peaceful. However, you should avoid all areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.”
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.