Image via Shutterstock
Travellers to London have escaped two 24-hour Tube strikes planned for this week.
The walkouts were called off after promising talks between unions and London Underground (LU), but unions have put forward new strike dates of September 8 and 10 if a deal is not reached.
The dispute is over plans to start a night service on the Underground network from September 12.
Tube workers have been in dispute over rotas and working conditions on the new Night Tube service.
The Unite union said it had suspended industrial action this week as a “gesture of goodwill” to allow further talks.
The strikes, originally planned for Wednesday and Friday, would have been the third round of action this summer, following walkouts on July 8-9 and August 5-6.
Unite regional officer, Hugh Roberts, said there were some “remaining sticking points” but the union felt enough progress had been made to suspend industrial action, the BBC reported.
Union leaders met LU managers at the conciliation service Acas yesterday in the hope of reaching a last-minute deal.