The announcement of the merger on February 12 confounded expectations that Thomas Cook would sign a deal with First Choice, and led to quick consolidation at the top of the industry.
Rival companies TUI and First Choice announced a merger just a month after Thomas Cook and MyTravel. It was completed on September 3 2007.
The Thomas Cook / MyTravel deal itself was completed in just over four months.
This page contains links to coverage of the merger from Travel Weekly and our sister title Travolution.
Key dates from the merger, from the initial announcement to completion
- TCG issues first interim management statement
- Thomas Cook Group begins trading
- EU approves first step on road to MyTravel Thomas Cook merger
- EC merger decision to end months of uncertainty
- EC regulators dictate speed of Thomas Cook and MyTravel merger
- Thomas Cook MyTravel merger surprises trade
Thomas Cook Group
News and announcements about the new group’s structure and strategy
- Aspro brand faces uncertain future at Thomas Cook Group
- Thomas Cook Group to keep Going Places
- ITT: Fontenla-Novoa outlines future of Thomas Cook Group
- Thomas Cook Group reveals management structure
- Thomas Cook MyTravel merger savings rise to £95m
- Thomas Cook and MyTravel merger may affect web sales
- Enlarged Thomas Cook Group looking to acquire
How the merger has affected Thomas Cook and MyTravel staff
- Thomas Cook Group to cut 2,800 jobs
- Thomas Cook Group to get Peterborough HQ
- Trade union calls for investigation into mergers
- Thomas Cook increases travel agent pay as job cuts loom
- Thomas Cook and MyTravel staff face months of uncertainty
- Shop staff will bear brunt of Thomas Cook/MyTravel cuts
- Thousands of jobs under threat at MyTravel and Thomas Cook
- Homeworking firms look to capitalise on merger job losses
- Travel giants’ merger will not squeeze out independent agents
- Analysis: New travel groups must adapt to survive
- Comment: Travel’s big four becomes three
- Industry welcomes Thomas Cook and MyTravel merger
- Why a merger was always on the cards
- Key statistics
- Thomas Cook and MyTravel: merger schedule
- How the Big Four travel firms have fought it out
- KarstadtQuelle: the German connection
- Timeline: countdown to the merger
From our blogs
- Caption competition: Penny for them, Mr Blastland… (Travel Weekly Blog)
- Thomas Cook and MyTravel – what the web is saying (Travel Weekly Blog)
- Thomas Cook – MyTravel merger was inevitable (Travolution Blog)
- More on the Thomas Cook MyTravel merger (Travel Weekly Blog)
- Thomas Cook and MyTravel to merge (Travel Weekly Blog)
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.