Thomas Cook has cancelled all departures to Tunisia until early February as the UK Foreign Office continues to advise against all but essential travel to the country following the overthrow of the government.


Tunisia’s airports are open, most scheduled flights are operating normally and the Foreign Office (FCO) reports: “The situation is calmer.” However, it warns: “Demonstrations continue and incidents of violence are still possible”.


Thomas Cook flights due to depart this Wednesday were cancelled last week and the suspension extends up to and including February 2. The company’s first planned departure is now Sunday, February 6.


Passengers booked on cancelled services may fly to an alternative destination or take a full refund. Customers booked up to the end of February may choose to delay their departure or re-book to somewhere else.


Tui Travel UK said its departures to Tunisia would also remain cancelled until Foreign Office advice changes. Both tour operators continue to review the situation in light of government advice.


Thomas Cook chief executive Manny Fontenla-Novoa said: “The benefits of booking a package holiday come into their own at times like this.”


The 23-year dictatorship in Tunisia ended on January 14 following weeks of escalating protests and violent repression, when President Ben Ali fled the country. However, a State of Emergency remains in force and there are nightly curfews in the capital Tunis.