News

Amadeus River Cruises targets price balance to drive ‘soft’ market

Amadeus River Cruises’ UK GSA representative is targeting a return to 2019 booking volumes for the sector but admitted 2022 sales were not “where we would like them to be”.

Jenny Wade, product and sales manager at Fred Olsen Travel, said she was concerned widespread low pricing currently available could impact the river cruise market and affect cruise lines’ hard-earned reputations.

Speaking at Amadeus Cara’s christening in Cologne on Wednesday (June 30), she added: “This is the best year to try a river cruise because of the offers but my concern is that is what new passengers will expect the price to be.

“Given the market is how it is we do not want to soften the market further.”

She highlighted how the ongoing conflict in Ukraine was affecting customer demand. “People see that the Danube borders a conflict – a war zone,” said Wade, who previously worked for Viking for five years. “We know that it’s absolutely fine.

“We’re trying to bring back confidence. We will always get the die-hard customers but we’re looking for the new-to-market customers.”

According to Wade, 55% of Amadeus’ passengers are currently American or British while the remaining 45% are European.

More: Amadeus River Cruises christens latest vessel

Share article

View Comments

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.