Damages worth more than £100,000 have been secured from Thomas Cook after a group of 26 holidaymakers reportedly suffered life-threatening gastric symptoms while staying at a hotel in Egypt.

Law firm Irwin Mitchell won the damages from the travel company to cover the holidaymakers’ pain and suffering and related losses.

The travellers fell ill with gastric bug symptoms following their stay at the Sindbad Aqua Park Hotel in Hurghada in July 2012, the Sun reported. 

Credit controller Roxanne Barraclough, of Blackpool, reportedly noticed chicken sometimes served to guests at the four-star resort was undercooked and stopped eating it.

She was admitted to hospital on her return to the UK where it was confirmed she had contracted E.coli after she complained of kidney pain.

Her partner and seven year old daughter had fallen ill three days into their holiday.

Clare Comiskey, a specialist personal injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said: “Thomas Cook had a duty of care to Roxanne and her family and the 23 other holidaymakers to ensure they experienced a safe and enjoyable trip to the Sindbad Aqua Park Hotel. Thankfully, Thomas Cook took a sensible approach and compensated our clients.

“Gastric illness can be distressing in any event, but particularly when far from home and on what is supposed to be a relaxing holiday.

“This case highlights how serious and potentially life-threatening bacteria such as E.coli can be. Hopefully lessons can be learnt from this so other families can feel safe when travelling abroad.”

A Thomas Cook spokeswoman apologised and said health and safety was treated with “the utmost importance”.

She told the newspaper: “We know how important holidays are to our customers and how upsetting it can be when they fall unwell while overseas.

“We have been liaising closely with the appointed solicitor representing Ms Barraclough, as well as other customers who stayed at the hotel in 2012, and are pleased that we have reached an agreement to resolve this matter amicably with them.”