The operator has been working closely with the police and supporting the McCann family in Portugal as the hunt for the three-year-old continued this week.
Head of marketing Nigel Ragg said the disappearance of the toddler from the Ocean Club in Praia da Luz has been devastating for staff at both the resort and in the UK.
It was believed Madeleine was abducted while she was asleep and her parents were eating in a restaurant just yards from their apartment last Thursday.
Two counsellors are now with resort staff and another one addressed head office on Wednesday. Ragg said: “Quite a few of our people have been affected.
“All of us have become so wrapped up in it. I have been watching the news all day and every day. Our staff are doing a fantastic job; with something like this everyone pulls together.”
Since the disappearance the operator has offered customers at the resort the option of moving elsewhere. Around 15% of the 120 guests have taken up the offer.
Customers with forward bookings are being offered the chance to switch resorts. There have been three cancellations.
Ragg added that security at the resort is likely to be reviewed, although it has not been blamed for the girl’s disappearance. The operator is committed to running more open-plan resorts like the Ocean Club.
A Mark Warner trade advertising campaign that launched last week has been postponed. Ragg said the operator could not foresee the long-term impact of the events. “We’re just praying for her safe return.”
This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travel Weekly.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.